52veggie

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Bucatini with Gorgonzola Sauce

From 52veggie
This recipe is from The Essential Pasta Cookbook which I consult often. My favorite recipe that I make often is the alfredo sauce, because it is light and fresh tasting. I hadn't made this cream sauce before, but was intrigued by the use of gorgonzola cheese. In high school a friend's Mom made a pasta with a white sauce that I have never been able to recreate (this wasn't it, but I'm still glad I tried it).

Bucatini with Gorgonzola Sauce

12 oz bucatini or spaghetti
6 1/2 oz gorgonzola cheese
3/4 oz butter
1 celery stick, chopped
1 1/4 cups cream
8 oz ricotta cheese, beaten until smooth

1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and return to the pan.

2. While the pasta is cooking, chop the gorgonzola cheese into small cubes.

3. Heat the butter in a medium pan, add the celery and stir for 2 minutes. Add the cream, ricotta and gorgonzola and season, to taste, with freshly ground black pepper.

4. Bring to the boil over low heat, stirring constantly, and then simmer for 1 minute. Add the sauce to the warm pasta and toss well.

I didn't add the celery because my husband won't eat it. As a result, the pasta felt like it needed something. I think it would be excellent served with the vegetarian chicken patties, mushrooms, or some spring veggies. I'm not sure I would make it again, as the fat content seems pretty high. Nothing functions the way cream does when you boil it and let it thicken, otherwise I would suggest substituting milk.

Categories: Cheese, Pasta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home