52veggie

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Roasted Vegetables with Mustard Sauce

From 52veggie
This is the second recipe this week from The Winter Vegetarian. My college roommate recently went to France and sent me some Dijon mustards from Dijon. I've been looking for something special to use them in, and came across this interesting sauce idea.

Roasted vegetables are pretty standard fare. The basic technique is to chop up vegetables, toss them with olive oil and balsamic vinegar or herbs, season with salt and pepper, and cook at 425 F until they are tender and slightly carmelized. For a super healthy version you can actually spray them with non-stick cooking spray instead of using olive oil.

The recipe for roasted vegetables in The Winter Vegetarian was more of a technique, and included a long list of winter vegetables to choose from. I ended up with sweet potatoes, carrots, fennel, and turnips. Presentation wise I wish I had something green or red in there, perhaps brussel sprouts and beets. I had not used fennel before, so I was excited for that.

The mustard sauce was made vegan with only one adjustment (substituting vegan margarine for butter). It is made at the end, and drizzled over the veggies. I used tarragon Dijon mustard, so my sauce is a little greener than it would have been otherwise.

Dijon Mustard Sauce

1 tbsp [vegan margarine]
1 tbsp flour
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 cup roasted vegetable stock or vegetable broth
2 tbsp Dijon mustard

Melt the margarine over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for one minute. Whisk in the dry mustard. Slowly whisk in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, about 5 minutes. Stir in the Dijon mustard and season to taste.

I always rate the recipes I try based on if I would make them again. I think the ratio recommended of vinegar to oil in the veggies was too strong on the vinegar, and I think I would do a different combination of vegetables in the future. The mustard sauce was a keeper though.

Categories: Carrots, Fennel, Mustard, Sweet Potatoes, Turnips, Vegan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home