52veggie

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Stuffed Cabbage Stoup (vegan)

From 52veggie
A lot of times I will take a non-vegetarian recipe and "vegetize" it. I don't know a better word for it, but it's your basic substitution game - vegetable stock for chicken stock, meat substitutes for meat.

This recipe is by Rachel Ray, and she made it on her 30 minute meals show a week or so ago. I won't copy it here, but you can find it on the Food Network site. A stoup is somewhere between a soup and a stew. One of her methods of making meals in 30 minutes is to reduce the flavors of a favorite dish into something easy to prepare. Stuffed cabbage rolls are time consuming; stuffed cabbage soup, not so much.

As mentioned before, I substituted vegetable broth for the chicken stock, and used the Morningstar crumbles for the "meatball mix." I didn't know if I wanted to start out sauteeing the crumbles as you would for meat, since they wouldn't be releasing any fats or anything, and only tend to soak up liquid. Instead, I sauteed the onions, carrots, and garlic with the spices and added the crumbles at the end of the ingredient list (right before bringing it to a boil). As a result, this didn't have as much flavor as I would have liked. It's a nice variety of vegetable soup, and the rice is a nice addition.

Another word of caution - this recipe makes a TON. We will be eating soup for days.

Categories: Cabbage, Carrots, Garlic, Rice, Soup, Tomatoes, Vegan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home