52veggie

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Mashed Potato Soup

From 52veggie
This week I am trying recipes from Rachel Ray, a well-known cook on Food Network. The first recipe is an old standard from Veggie Meals, one of the series stemming from her show 30 Minute Meals.

What I love about this recipe (besides how quick and easy it is) is that it combines two comfort foods into one dish - soup and mashed potatoes! It is a great meal when it is cold and rainy, or when someone isn't feeling well in your family. My husband was feeling under the weather, so it became Mashed Potato Soup time.

Another thing that I love about this recipe is that you can make it a million different ways - last night I didn't have vegetable broth or heavy cream, so I improvised. I have put different kinds of cheese in it, and many times I have used premade mashed potatoes rather than go to the trouble of making my own. But last night I happened to have half of a bag of Yukon gold potatoes that were almost to sprouting stage, so I took the time to make the mashed potatoes from scratch.

Mashed Potato Soup

Mashed Potatoes

6 medium white potatoes, peeled and chunked
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk (in 2 splashes)
salt and pepper to taste

Soup

4 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup heavy cream
2 cans vegetable broth (14 ounces each)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 scallions, thin sliced
1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
10 blades fresh chives (optional)

Cover the potatoes with water in a large pot and boil for 10 to 12 minutes. Drain them and put them back in the hot pot. Mash, put in the butter, sour cream, milk, and seasonings.

Whisk in heavy cream. Bring to bubble and whisk in broth. Season with cayenne and stir in scallions. Simmer on low for 5 minutes. Remove and serve in bowls topped with cheese and chives*.

Yield: 4 servings

*Another personal note - I like to mix the cheese in and allow it to flavor the entire soup, and top with scallions or chives, but I rarely have both on hand.

Categories: Cheese, Potato, Soup

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home